Once you’ve opened your Shopify store, it’s time to list some products for sale. If you don’t have the space to store physical products in your home and haven’t met the required minimum to work with custom printers, print on demand services, also known as POD, might be an excellent option.
A print on demand app will work for you whether you’re selling one t-shirt or 100, and you’re not limited to apparel. With a POD service, if you can print on it, you can order it through a POD app. Many shops offer art prints, posters, mugs, pens, and even towels.
Once you install a print on demand app in Shopify, you’re able to fill orders in the app, your order is printed, and then it’s shipped to your customer without you having to manage a physical inventory. We’ve reviewed some of the best Shopify print on demand apps available. Read on to find the perfect app for your store.
#1: Best Overall: Printify
Printify is the gold standard for print on demand apps. Boasting over 500,000 connected stores, Printify integrates seamlessly with Shopify, Etsy, WooCommerce, and more. With Printify, you’ll have access to over 250 unique products ranging from t-shirts and mugs to cell phone cases that you can sell in your store. Printify works with global shipping partners, opening your shop to an international market. They also offer 24/7 customer support if you need help along the way.
Printify currently offers two plans:
- Free: Install the app in up to three stores to access unlimited designs and Printify’s mockup generator, which allows you to see exactly what your product will look like when printed. Unlike many free plans, which offer limited customer support, you can access the same 24/7 customer service available on the premium plan.
- Premium: For $29/mo, you have all the perks of the free plan and the ability to support up to ten stores. The premium plan also gives you up to 20% off on all products. This is the best option if you plan to operate numerous print on demand stores catering to different niches.
Using Printify is straightforward, even if you don’t have that much experience with technology. Open the app after installation, select a product you’d like to sell in your store, upload your design in the mockup generator, and save it to your store. After that, select a print and product provider; U.S. residents should choose an American provider to save on shipping costs.
Printify gives you the option of manually entering orders for fulfillment, but it’s much easier to do so directly through the app. Once you’ve fulfilled the order, Printify completes it and ships your product directly to the customer. This is a perfect solution for dropshippers who don’t have enough space to store physical inventory, and it saves you from having to make daily trips to the post office.
#2: Best for 3D Printing: Shop3D
With a 5-star rating and a unique specialty, Shop3D is not an app you should overlook when it comes to POD services. 3D printing is a newer technology offered by print on demand companies, and Shop3D is in a league of their own. Perfect for jewelry makers, game manufacturers, and figurine creators, Shop3D allows you to upload your 3D files and creates each product to order.
Dedicated to providing the best products for the lowest cost, you can rely on Shop3D not to charge for anything upfront. The app itself is free, and you only make a payment once your product sells, meaning they won’t make any money if you don’t make any sales. Shop3D saves you on shipping costs by working with worldwide fulfillment centers, so your products are printed and shipped locally.
Shop3D will also work with you to create a product you want to sell even if it’s not currently available. And if you get stuck along the way, live chat support is available through the app.
#3: Best for New Shops: Printful
This powerful print on demand app is free to use, and there are absolutely no startup costs, so it’s perfect if you’re just getting started with your print on demand business. Another reason Printful is such a great app for new POD shops is their selection of free templates. Even if you don’t have a design of your own, you can personalize one of their templates with your customer’s name or logo.
Printful is more personalized than many other POD apps; customers can submit their own designs, which are then printed on your products, and Printful takes care of the rest. They offer embroidered shirts, engraved jewelry, stickers, phone cases, t-shirts, and more.
Benefits of choosing Printful include:
- Fast shipping, usually within three business days
- Discounts up to 20% on product samples
- The ability to set your own prices
- Customers can take part in the design process
- Global manufacturing
In addition to Shopify, Printful integrates with Etsy, Squarespace, WooCommerce, and Amazon. Like other POD services, Printful fulfills your order, packages it, and ships it directly to your customer, taking a cut of the profit in return.
Printful offers 24/7 live chat support, email support, and a useful contact form should any problems arise.
#4: Best for Designers: TeeLaunch
If you love spending time working on your own designs, TeeLaunch is the perfect Shopify POD app for you. You can design and upload mockups for over 100 products on TeeLaunch, a free app with no startup costs. Connected to over 90,000 Shopify stores, TeeLaunch is a trustworthy print on demand partner that handles fulfillment and shipping, so you have more time to dedicate to your designs.
Some perks of TeeLaunch:
- You can customize jewelry, bags, phone cases, stickers, shirts, and home decor items such as blankets, shower curtains, pillowcases, and towels.
- TeeLaunch’s global shipping presence cuts down shipping costs and transit time once your order is fulfilled.
- The app is free to use with no upfront costs; TeeLaunch gets paid only when you make a sale.
If you plan to offer a wide assortment of products in your shop and focus primarily on the design aspect, TeeLaunch is the perfect app. One caveat is that TeeLaunch’s customer support is email-based, so you may have to wait a while if you need help.
Things to Consider When Choosing a POD Service
Each Shopify store owner has different needs, and only you know which print on demand app is the best fit for you. However, there are a few criteria you should keep in mind when making your selection.
- Cost: The app should always fit your budget. Fortunately, there are apps for all budgets.
- Shipping: Are you planning to sell internationally or locally? Look into each app’s shipping presence.
- Customer support: Are they available 24/7 to help you if you hit a snag? How vital is round-the-clock customer support to you personally?
- Products: How many products do they offer? Some services focus primarily on t-shirts, which obviously won’t work for you if your heart is set on selling phone cases.
Narrowing down what you want in a print on demand app will make the selection process that much easier, saving you from switching to another service later on down the line.
Other Options to Consider
If none of the apps in our top three resonate with you and your brand, there are other fantastic print on demand apps on the market that can better serve your needs.
Another free app without a monthly subscription fee is Printy6. A simple, intuitive app, Printy6 uses a drag-and-drop editor and offers free worldwide shipping.
Printy6 benefits include:
- Integration: Because Printy6 was designed specifically for Shopify, it integrates easily with all Shopify themes.
- Ease of use: Printy6 uses drag-and-drop technology, so it’s perfect for those who don’t enjoy the more tech-heavy aspects of designing and selling eCommerce products.
- Snaprinting: You’ll receive a notification with a tracking number from Snaprinting once you’ve made a sale, enabling you to send the tracking number to your customers to keep track of their item.
- Product range: You can design everything from shoes to bedding sets in Printy6, so you’re limited only by your own imagination.
However, Printy6 has two main pitfalls: shipping time is a little slow for a print on demand service, roughly 5-17 business days, and customer support is only available via email.
CustomCat offers two versions, free and premium, their namesake CustomCat version. The free version of the app gives you access to the same products as the premium version, but they cost a little extra.
Let’s say you ordered one t-shirt; it will cost $8 on the free version and $6 with the monthly subscription. However, if you’re just starting and can’t afford a $30/mo subscription fee, it might be worth it to use the free version until your sales volume increases.
CustomCat benefits include:
- Email notifications: CustomCat notifies you with shipping details, including a tracking number, when your product ships.
- Product range: With over 550 products available for customization, CustomCat has one of the largest ranges of any print on demand service.
- Unique services: Offering optional embroidery and a dye sublimation process, CustomCat has products you won’t find anywhere else.
CustomCat’s customer support is available via an online contact form, email, and by phone Monday-Friday, from 8 am-6:30 pm EST.
#7: JetPrint Fulfillment
One of the most popular Shopify apps on the market, JetPrint Fulfillment is free to use, has no startup costs, and is available worldwide. JetPrint uses drag-and-drop functionality, so it’s easy to use even if you don’t have much design experience.
JetPrint Fulfillment benefits include:
- Product range: JetPrint offers over 50 high-quality, blank products for you to sell. Simply upload your design onto clocks, shoes, welcome mats, and more.
- Free worldwide shipping: Shipping is entirely free with JetPrint, so the only thing you pay for is the cost of the product itself.
- Regular updates: JetPrint continuously improves the app, adding new products and functions for users to enjoy.
Customer support with JetPrint is available through live chat, phone, and contact forms. There is also a useful FAQ section, so you may not need to speak to anyone directly, depending on your issue.
This free app, created by Pixels.com, has operated since 2006. Pixels is one of the largest print on demand services in the world, and they’ve worked with global media giants such as Marvel, Vogue, and National Geographic.
Pixels benefits include:
- Product range: Pixels offers hundreds of products that run the gamut from art prints, t-shirts, wood prints, yoga mats, and much more.
- Pricing: While many print on demand services set their own prices, Pixels allows you to price your products yourself.
- Global manufacturing: Pixels has 15 manufacturing centers operating 24/7 across the globe. This keeps shipping costs low, as items are printed and shipped locally to customers. It also reduces transit time.
- Shipping speed: Orders are printed and shipped between 2-3 business days, perhaps the fastest turnaround time in the POD world.
Pixels offers customer support through phone and email, but the lack of a live chat feature is a downside.
#9: Pillow Profits Fulfillment
While Pillow Profits Fulfillment is not free, they offer a 30-day free trial to see if you like their service. The app costs $29.99/mo after that. Despite the cost, Pillow Profits provides over 10,000 unique products like backpacks, shoes, and even car seat covers.
Pillow Profits benefits include:
- Product range: With over 10,000 products, Pillow Profits offers the most extensive product range of any print on demand app we reviewed.
- Free worldwide shipping: You can ship your products anywhere in the world for free, but you will only receive a tracking number when shipping to the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and Australia.
- Customer satisfaction: Pillow Profits will send your customer a new item free of charge if they ordered the wrong size.
- Order control: With Pillow Profits, you can place your customer’s order on hold, cancel the order, or change the name and address within the app.
The only downside to Pillow Profits is the utter lack of visibility in terms of customer support information. The website has a robust FAQ section, but we couldn’t find out how to reach customer service until we read through each question in the FAQ section. Customer service is available through a small widget on the Pillow Profits website and the app, but making the information so challenging to locate may turn off potential customers.
#10: Tshirtgang Fulfillment
Well-established in the print on demand industry, Tshirtgang Fulfillment has been around since 2005. Like several other apps on our list, Tshirtgang is free to install, and they only make a profit when you make a sale. Tshirtgang specializes in apparel, so they don’t have the broadest range of products on offer, but as the cliché says, “the riches are in the niches.”
Tshirtgang benefits include:
- App integration: Even if you have more than one store, Tshirtgang integrates with ease. It can be used with Shopify, Etsy, eBay, and even Amazon.
- Assortment of apparel products: While Tshirtgang specializes in one niche, they still offer a plethora of products you can sell in your store. You’ll find everything from men’s hoodies to baby clothes waiting to be customized in the app.
- Mockup generator: Upload your design in the app so you can see how it will look when printed and shipped off to your customer.
Tshirtgang is an excellent app for apparel stores, but it does charge for its worldwide shipping, ranging from $4.95-$19. Customer service is available through contact forms, and there is also an extensive FAQ section and knowledgeable forum available.
#11: Kin Custom
Kin Custom is a robust, free app that offers free international shipping. You only pay a fee when you make a sale. They also provide premium shipping for $6.99 if you only need to ship a single item, but you need it shipped in a hurry. Kin Custom is perfect for those who want to sell fresh, modern designs in a vast array of products.
Kin Custom benefits include:
- Product range: In addition to the ubiquitous t-shirts offered by nearly all print on demand services, Kin Custom also provides backpacks, shirts, shoes, bedding, and even pet accessories to sell in your store.
- Templates: If you’re not really into designing but still want to sell on Shopify, you can choose one of Kin Customs premade templates from their catalog and create stylish products for your store.
- Free worldwide shipping: Another bonus of using Kin Custom is their free international shipping.
One pitfall of using Kin Custom is customer support, which is only available by filling out a ticket. Kin Custom’s business hours are Monday-Friday, 9 am-5 pm EST. A Kin Custom customer support representative will be in touch within 24 hours or by the next business day, or you can use their FAQ to answer your question.
The demand for custom designs increases every year. In a booming market, Shopify sellers have a lot of fantastic print on demand apps, but deciding which one is right for you is essential. We’ve broken down everything we think you need to know before making your selection.
To recap: consider which products you want to sell, and then choose a print on demand app that caters to your specific niche. There are apps for those who hate designing mockups, apps that work best if you’re an enthusiastic designer, and everything in between.
We recommend you give a few apps a trial run, see how well they work for you, and then make your decision. Always take shipping costs and turnaround time into consideration, and choose wisely.